- The first time you use them, use them with something like the decreases on a hat
- Cast on all on 1 needle and then move your stitches.
- Use wooden needles when you are starting to learn dpn’s
- Work with 5 needles, not 4
- Use small stitch markers
- When starting with dpn, start your round in the middle of the needle
- So if you have 40 stitches total, and you’re of course working with 5 needles, you’ll have 5 stitches on needle 1, 10 on needles 2-4, and 5 on needle 5, when you go to join you’ll knit the stitches from needle 1 to needle 5, joining it, but since it’s not where needles meet, you’ll get less of a gap.
- When you come to the end of a needle, snug up the first few stitches on the new one.
- Rotate your stitches are you work around. So when you get to the end of a needle instead directly moving to the next one, knit at least 1 or 2 stitches onto the needle you just filled
- Watch when starting a new needle how you are holding it in relation to your live stitches. Keep the new stitches as close to the old ones as possible.
- Most of all take your time!
Where you can come and see me this month (Sept 2018)
Endless Mountain Fiber Festival Sept 8-9
Knit Locally Sept 15 Trunk show and Knitting with Hand Dyed Yarn Class)
Shenandoah Valley Fiber Festival Sept 28th Knitting with Hand Dyed Yarn Class
Shenandoah Valley Fiber Festival Show- Sept 29-30